Saturday, July 11, 2020

Is (Imported) German Beer Better in Cans?



Call me crazy, but recently, I have been having great success buying German beer in cans rather than bottles. All my life, I have preferred draft beer, bottled beer, then canned beer in that order.

I don't know what the reason is, but it seems the canned versions of German beers I have bought in the US taste closer to the real thing than the bottled or draft varieties in stores or restaurants. True, the 5-liter kegs are good, but you need to consume them quickly before they start to go stale. I guess they are better for parties. I should know this, but perhaps, the pasteurization-preservative requirement for imported beer in the US has been loosened for cans.

The first time I was pleasantly surprised was with Bitburger in cans a few years ago. I am particularly excited about the Veltins Brewery Grevensteiner Land Bier pictured above. I also currently have a few cans of Paulaner in my fridge. It is pretty good, but I definitely prefer the Grevensteiner.

All in all, the above beers have a smooth, clean taste and a frothy head like I expect in Germany.

Next time you are shopping for German beer, give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment