Sunday, June 2, 2024

Bamberger Kaiserdom in Zihuatanejo

 



We just got back from a week's vacation in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa. On our first day, we stopped into  Soriana's supermarket in Zihuatanejo. In the import beer section, they had Bamberger Kaiserdom, including pils, dunkles and keller bier. I picked up a bottle of the pills along with a can of Karlsbrau pils (a brewery in Homburg). They had smaller bottles of Munchner Lowenbrau, which I passed on. 

While the latter was OK, I want to focus on the Kaiserdom. I have previously written about Bamberg beer and have visited the city several times. Bamberg is a famous beer city in Franconia, and is noted for its Rauchbier (smoked beer) which is not exactly to my taste. When I was stationed in nearby Erlangen in the 60s, one of the local beers I most enjoyed was Bamberger Hofbrau, which closed down in 1977. (I understand it has been recreated and must look into this further.)

As for the Kaiserdom, I really liked it and wished I had tried the dunkles and keller bier as well, but at 80 pesos (about 5 dollars US) I decided to pick up a 6-pack of Bohemia, my favorite Mexican beer, founded in 1905 by a Czech brewer who immigrated to Mexico. If you are interested the Kaiserdom pils alcohol level is 4.9%.

No comments:

Post a Comment